1954 Ferrari 375 Plus
Building on the success of the 375MM, the 375 was an even more potent derivative that was good enough to win LeMans and the Mille Miglia.
By 1954, Ferraris large displacement V12 designed by Gioacchino Colombo had already won at the top level of motorsport, including some of Ferrari’s first F1 victories until 1953 when the F2 regulations were adopted. Ferrari continued to use the engine in road racing cars which started with the 340 America and continued with the successful 375MM which was upgraded in 1954 to become the 375 Plus.
With power making much of the difference on the long straight courses like LeMans and the Mille Miglia, Ferrari enlarged their engine to 4954 ccs in 1954 by increasing the stroke. This added more torque at the expense of peak power. Three Weber 46 DFC/3 carburetors were fitted to produce 330 bhp.
Bodywork for the Plus was largely limited to Pinin Farina and Vignale who both designed purposeful spyder bodies. Only a handful were made, while some of the older 375MMs were upgraded.
Outstanding achievement came to Ferrari when a 375 Plus won Le Mans outright with Gonzales and Trintignant.